Bellamar Caves & Matanzas City
(32Km from Varadero & 1.5 hrs drive from Havana)
One of the Most Famous Day Trip from Varadero
One of the closest and easiest day-trip destinations from Varadero is MATANZAS, the biggest and most interesting city to discover the real Cuban life in the province of the same name. Clustered on the hillsides around a large bay and endowed with several of its own beaches.
Matanzas is the capital of the Cuban province of Matanzas. Matanzas was founded in 1693 as San Carlos y San Severino de Matanzas. Known for its poets, culture, and Afro-Cuban folklore, it is located on the northern shore of the island of Cuba, on the Bay of Matanzas (Spanish Bahia de Matanzas), 90 kilometers (56 mi) east of the capital Havana and 32 kilometers (20 mi) west of the resort town of Varadero.
Matanzas is called the City of Bridges, for the seventeen bridges that cross the three rivers that traverse the city (Rio Yumuri, San Juan, and Canimar). For this reason it was referred to as the "Venice of Cuba." It was also called "La Atenas de Cuba" ("The Athens of Cuba") for its poets. Matanzas is known as the birthplace of the music and dance traditions danzón and rumba. The Bellamar caves have been one of the most-visited Cuba tourist attractions.
Cuevas de Bellamar. They will both impress and confound you all at once. Hidden underground, away from the tropical sun, a magical world exists here, where mesmerizing crystalline domes and formations come in an astonishing range of shapes and sizes. Mind-boggling stalagmites and stalagtites are found within, in conjunction with pictographs from indigenous peoples and a network of mostly clear rivers and streams. Believed to have been formed some 300,000 years ago,
ITINERARY :The cave is located in the city of Matanzas, this excursion includes following
- Panoramic tour of the city where you will see>
- Beautiful views of the Matanzas' Bay,
- The Vigia square,
- The Libertad square,
- The numerous city bridges,
- The farmer's market,
- Visit the Bellamar Cave
- Lunch (optional, prices vary depending on family's interests)>
- Visit to the Canimar bridge's basement (Native Indian dance show/ Souvenirs /Cigar shop)
- View of the natural reserve of Canimar river (opportunity to swim and boat ride)
The Monserrat Hermitage from which you can enjoy both the beautiful Yumuri Valley landscape and Matanzas Bay.
Inclusions: Driver, Tour guide, air-conditioned transportation.
Not included in price: Meals, drinks and personal expenses or entrance fees. Gratuities.
Departure: 9:00 am (Pick-up from your hotel Lobby)
Return: 5:30 pm (Drop-off at your hotel lobby)
- Single reserved taxi for a couple - 140/-CUC (Car)
- Single reserved taxi for a family of 3 people - 155/-CUC (Car)
- Single reserved taxi for a family of 4 people -165/-CUC (Car)
- Single reserved taxi for a family of 5 people - 185/-CUC ( Big Car)
- Single reserved van for a family of 6 people - 220/-CUC (Van)
- Single reserved van for a family of 7 people - 245/-CUC (Big Van)
- Single reserved van for a family of 8 people - 265/-CUC (Big Van)
- Single reserved van for a family of 9 people - 285/-CUC (Big Van)
- Single reserved van for a family of 10 people - 310/-CUC (Big Van)
- Online Application
Suggestions on what to wear and bring
- Comfortable shoes (adequate for slippery conditions)
- Comfortable clothes (adequate for warm and humid conditions)
- Camera (there's an extra fee of 5 CUC to use you camera inside the cave)
- Bottled water